Re: Upgrading from Etch to Lenny

* Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> [070920 21:10]:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 04:28:09PM -0400, Gregory O'Neal wrote:
> >   I am new to linux.  I have been running Etch for a month or so now on
> > my Gateway Desktop.  I am considering moving up to testing.  This brings
> > up the question of what is the proper way to accomplish the upgrade?
>
> May I humbly suggest that you may not have had time to learn enough
> about linux or Debian to run testing?  It is, after all, _testing_.

Humbug!  Your comment may be applicable to "unstable", but not to
"testing".  I ran "unstable" for about two years, and I experienced
very few difficulties.

"Stable" perhaps is appropriate in a commercial environment in which
it is prudent to sacrifice enhancements in order to gain absolute
reliability.

I have been running Debian "testing" for three or four years, and I
personally have found it more stable and bug-free than the production
versions of RedHat, Mandrake, and SuSE.  And there simply is no
comparison between the reliability of "testing" and M$ Window$ (which
novices all over the world are running).

On rare occasion, update of a package may leave something broken, but
I never have found such problems to be terribly serious, and they
typically are corrected with a few weeks at most -- most often, within
a few days -- simply by allowing Synaptic to update packages whenever
package updates are available.

RLH