Re: LPR and CUPS

Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> writes:
> my dirty little secret is that I've *never* had trouble with CUPS and
> don't understand all the problems that people have. Some of it I think
> is just inertia (used lp* for a long time why should I change) which
> is perfectly reasonable, IMO. And I do agree with those who think that
> there are many printing solutions and the heavy use of cups as a
> dependency is not a good thing.

So... what type of printer setup do you use?

I run a debian machine at work where all the printers are "network
attached" (some are hanging off of unix machines, some have their own
print server builtin).

Windows machines seem to find all these printers "magically", but none
of the debian printing systems I've tried (CUPS, LPRng) has ever worked
worth a damn in this environment -- they don't seem to find printers
advertised on the net like windows machines do, and even adding printers
to /etc/printcap (with lprng) doesn't work like the documentation says
it should.

Most of the help I've seen on the net for CUPS etc assumes that you have
a printer directly attached to your machine (and I get the impression
that this is the focus of development).

I've basically given up on printing from my debian machine; I just login
to the sunos server and use lpr when I need to print something...

-Miles

--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.