Re: LPR and CUPS

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 06:15:12PM -0500, cothrige wrote:

> I have an HP Deskjet printer which I have set up using CUPS.  It has
> always functioned fine, and I can use lp to print without any problems,
> and openoffice, browsers and such work just fine.  However, I use Emacs
> and would like to be able to print from within that app, and it uses
> lpr, which I have never installed.  I had wondered if that would cause

cupsys-bsd package provide /usr/bin/lpr. you should not need to
install an additional package to get lpr functionality.

> So, what I am wondering is if it is the CUPS way I have been doing
> things that has caused the problems, and if so can that be worked
> around?  It would seem that CUPS cannot easily be uninstalled on my
> system as so much depends on it.  Could my problem be that lprng is not
> installed?  This also cannot be fixed easily as it conflicts with CUPS.

you may now have trouble and may have to do some mucking around with
packages to get it all to work properly. I recommend you

> If nothing else, maybe somebody knows how to convince emacs to print
> without using lpr?

printing from emacs works fine here (though I never use it and know
not its intricacies) using M-x print-buffer <enter>. There is surely
an easier way though.

current song: Ice-T - The Iceberg