Re: LPR and CUPS

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 09:49:37PM -0500, cothrige wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 06:35:15PM -0500, cothrige wrote:
> >> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> writes:
> >
> > that's better than the typical "cups sucks" flamewar we get... cue in
> > 3..2..1..

> I have to admit that I am pretty much entirely ignorant concerning the
> whole thing.  I did read some posts a while back discussing the evil of
> cups, but I think having absolutely no experience with the other
> approaches I couldn't really follow the reasoning.  I have little doubt
> that cups is less than a wonderful tool (so many of these things are and
> I still find myself fuming in hate regarding alsa from time to time) but
> since up to this time I have been able to use it successfully I have had
> no reason to try anything else.

my dirty little secret is that I've *never* had trouble with CUPS and
don't understand all the problems that people have. Some of it I think
is just inertia (used lp* for a long time why should I change) which
is perfectly reasonable, IMO. And I do agree with those who think that
there are many printing solutions and the heavy use of cups as a
dependency is not a good thing.

But for me it just works. shrug.