Re: need help on config PCI wireless card (rt2500 chip)

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 10:18:45AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 10:53:31PM -0700, Serena Cantor wrote:
> >
> > English is my second language. I have thought that etch installation
> > CD has driver for rt2500 based card and it will auto detect card,
> > auto load driver and auto config wireless connection.  Surely this
> > does not happen.
>
> surely. the claim that the rt2500 card will work "out of the box"
> doesn't mean you can use it to *install* with. The available modules
> and support for hardware within the installer is a subset of what is
> available within a fully installed system. As others have said, you'll
> have to install using some other method, but once installed, you
> should be able to make this card work with relative ease.

There are wireless drivers in the kernel so, with appropriate hardware,
an install over WiFi should be possible. However, I imagine all of them
are free. The rt2500 driver may not be included because it is considered
to be non-free. Debian certainly regards it as such, which is why it not
on the installation CD.

If Serena follows Gabrielle Chatelet's advice she should be up and
running in no time.

--
Brian