Re: need help on config PCI wireless card (rt2500 chip)

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 10:53:31PM -0700, Serena Cantor wrote:
> What does work "out of the box" on etch mean?

it means that the item will work if you just take it out of the box
and install it. In other words, it should just work without need for
configuration. This is probably not true, but is a good indicator that
it should be able to work without great difficulty.

> English is my second language. I have thought that etch installation CD has driver for rt2500
> based card and it will auto detect card, auto load driver and auto config wireless connection.
> Surely this does not happen.

surely. the claim that the rt2500 card will work "out of the box"
doesn't mean you can use it to *install* with. The available modules
and support for hardware within the installer is a subset of what is
available within a fully installed system. As others have said, you'll
have to install using some other method, but once installed, you
should be able to make this card work with relative ease.

current song: The Killers - Believe Me Natalie