Re: is my raid1 array really working??

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 07:08:53PM -0700, harland christofferson wrote:
> Okay ... will look into my MBR on drive 1.
>
> something i thought i'd check /etc/fstab ... does it
> matter that my mount points look like:
>
> # cat /etc/fstab
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
>  <dump>  <pass>
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults
>  0       0
> /dev/hda1       /               ext3
> defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
> /dev/hda9       /home           ext3    defaults
>  0       2
> /dev/hda8       /tmp            ext3    defaults
>  0       2
> /dev/hda5       /usr            ext3    defaults
>  0       2
> /dev/hda6       /var            ext3    defaults
>  0       2
> /dev/hda7       none            swap    sw
>  0       0
> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto
>  0       0
>

> and don't reference the /dev/mdX ?

That would be an oops!.  You have valid raid arrays running somehow(?)
yet you are only writing and reading to one drive in the arrray.  In
short, you have no true raid.

Here's my fstab.  Note that only my /boot is directly on a raid array
all by itself.  Everything else is on LVM.

#
proc                          /proc   proc  defaults                       0 0
/dev/mapper/mirror-root       /       ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro     0 1
/dev/md0                      /boot   ext3  defaults                       0 2
/dev/mapper/cat-home          /home   ext3  defaults                       0 2
/dev/mapper/mirror-srv        /srv    ext3  defaults                       0 2
/dev/mapper/mirror-usr        /usr    ext3  defaults,noatime               0 2
/dev/mapper/mirror-var        /var    ext3  defaults                       0 2
/dev/mapper/cat-vartmp        /var/tmp ext2 defaults                       0 2
/dev/mapper/mirror-swap_crypt none    swap  sw                             0 0
/dev/hde        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto                    0 0
tmpfs		              /tmp    tmpfs size=2G		           0 0

Hopefully, someone here who has tried to fix your problem can give you
definitive advice.  In its absence, here are my thoughts only:

You don't know if /dev/hd(b?)1 mataches /dev/hda1.  Similarily, and for
testing a whole lot safer, you don't know if /dev/hdb8 matches /dev/hda8
(/tmp).  Put a test file in /tmp.  Mount /dev/hdb8 on /mnt and see if
the file is there.  I would hazard a guess that it is not.

If not, try this:

unmount /dev/hdb8.
remove /dev/hdb8 from the array (fail it, so that the array is
	degraded).
add /dev/hdb8 in again and watch it sync.
remout /dev/hdb8 on /mnt and see if it is there.

If so:

unmount both /dev/hdb8 and /dev/hda8
edit /etc/fstab to point to the correct md array
remont /tmp
see if you have a functioning /tmp.

If this works, then you have a strategy to attempt from single-user
mode.  If not, you'll have to think of something else.  At least these
are raid1 arrays.

Good luck.

Doug.