Re: is my raid1 array really working??

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 05:10:53PM -0700, harland christofferson wrote:
> It looks like they are working ... mdadm -D device
> returns similar for all:
>
> /dev/md5:
>      Raid Level : raid1
>    Raid Devices : 2
>   Total Devices : 2
>           State : active
>  Active Devices : 2
> Working Devices : 2
>  Failed Devices : 0
>   Spare Devices : 0
>
>     Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
>        0       3        9        0      active sync

Yup.

If ever you want the practice, immediatly after a full backup,
shutdown, pull the plugs on one drive, then reboot.

You'll see that the system still works.  You can re-read the man pages
to see how you'll add the drive back in.  Just consider it a new drive.
Shutdown, reconnect the drive, reboot, and add this 'new' disk to the
array.  Then watch it sync.

The only other tweak:  Assuming that you have /boot (either on its own
or part of /) on raid1, I would suggest you put in lines in grub's
menu.list that point to the other disk.  Grub automatically only points
to the first disk of the array.  If the first disk dies and: 1) you only
have grub installed in the first drive's MBR, or 2) you don't have
entries for booting off the second drive, you'll have a booting problem.

So put entries for both drives in grub's menu list, and install grub
onto both MBRs.  Then retest that you can boot OK with either disk
disconnected.

Doug.