Re: debian oriented laptot suggestions

On 15 Sep 2007, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2007, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > I now have ATI and sound working but not wireless and I'm not the only
> > > one. I've installed firmware-iwlwifi, which is supposed to work. After
> >
> > It took a while for ipw2200 to work right, I don't think iwlwifi is there
> > yet (unless you're using 2.6.23-rc or something like that).  You could try
> > using the most up-to-date version possible of iwlwifi and mac80211
> > backported for whatever kernel version you are using.  Get it from
> > http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi
> >
> > I had to keep up with the development versions of ipw2200 for a while before
> > it was good enough that I'd care to update only to whatever made it to Linux
> > mainline.
> >

> Thanks for this pointer. I had tried going back to the previous method
> but that didn't work either. As I do have a wired connection I may use
> that for the present until things improve.

Following up to myself, I just installed Debian Stable and then upgraded
to Testing with everything working correctly: sound, wireless, and 3d
graphics. It was all quite painless using the old-style ipw3945 stuff.

I must say I'm extremely impressed; a big than-you to Debian developers.
When I tried back in May this year I had numerous problems, but things
seem to have come on immeasurably since then.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian