cdrecord problem

On Sept. 7 I posted a problem,

"I have an Etch box with a linux-image-2.6.18-5-k7.  All works well but

  wodim -devices
  Beginning native device scan.  This may take a while ...
  wodim:  Invalid argument.  Cannot Set  SG_SET_TIMEOUT

Apt-get install wodim confirms I have the latest release. I have also run apt-get dist-upgrade but still get the same result from wodim -devices.

What's wrong?
"

The problem is still unsolved.

I received several responses but was unable to respond to the thread until yesterday due to an MTA problem.

Most of the responses suggested the difficulty was the lack of SCSI emulation. The config.gz accompanying the linux-image-2.6.18-5-k7 confirms that the kernel was not compiled with SCSI emulation as this is no longer necessary for 2.6 kernels.

Joerg Schily also responded with an emphatic message that linux uses an old, broken version of his cdrecord program and recommending I download the latest version of the original free program. I did but have not yet been able to make it work either though the problems are different. I switched to another Etch box with an AMD 64 cpu, a linux-image-2.6.18-5-amd64 kernel, a Lite-On DVDRW drive and a CompUSA CD_RW drive. With the linux cdrecord (wodim) I get the wodim: Invalid argument. Cannot Set SG_SET_TIMEOUT message. With the original cdrecord the cdrecord -scanbus finds both drives immediately but when I try to burn a cd neither works. If I specify the Lite-On drive there are grinding noises and, after several delays, most of the preliminary messages are written to the screen and then the report that the drive is not ready. If I specify the CD_RW drive again most of the preliminary messages are displayed and then the message "No disk, wrong disk".

I know that two months ago I burnt an iso with one of the drives on this box. To the best of my recollection I have made no changes other than dist-upgrades since then.

Any suggestions as to what has gone wrong?

Tom George