Re: Managing grub/menu.lst with multiple distros

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:35:14 -0400, KS wrote:

> Is there a way that each of them can update grub (initrd, vmlinuz,
> menu.lst etc.) automatically upon a kernel upgrade?

Simple, run

 update-grub

after you've upgraded your kernel. Ref:

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/disk/boot/boot06-Grub/index.html#How_to_switch_from_LILO_to_GRUB

> . . . why can the installer only detect a Windows installation and not
> other Linux distros? . . .

Yeah, I am wondering why update-grub can't do that myself.

> I have been trying to find out how to get grub updated for both
> Debian(Sid) and the recently installed Gutsy(pre-release).

Why not just chain load them? Whatever OS, even window$, grub's chain
load can boot them fine, as long as the partition is bootable by itself.
Ref:

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/disk/boot/boot06-Grub/ar01s06.html#Editing_the_GRUB_Menu

If the partition is not bootable by itself, you can still put an entry in
you main menu.lst, eg,

 configfile (hd1,0)/grub/menu.list

so as to refer to its boot menu from the main boot partition.

HTH

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/