Re: cdrecord problem

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 08:29:18PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Sept. 7 I posted a problem,
>
> "I have an Etch box with a linux-image-2.6.18-5-k7.  All works well but
>
>   wodim -devices
>   Beginning native device scan.  This may take a while ...
>   wodim:  Invalid argument.  Cannot Set  SG_SET_TIMEOUT
>
> Apt-get install wodim confirms I have the latest release.  I have also run
> apt-get dist-upgrade but still get the same result from wodim -devices.
>
> What's wrong?
> "
>
> The problem is still unsolved.
>
> I received several responses but was unable to respond to the thread until
> yesterday due to an MTA problem.
>
> Most of the responses suggested the difficulty was the lack of SCSI
> emulation.  The config.gz accompanying the linux-image-2.6.18-5-k7 confirms
> that the kernel was not compiled with SCSI emulation as this is no longer
> necessary for 2.6 kernels.
true

> Joerg Schily also responded with an emphatic message that linux uses an
> old, broken version of his cdrecord program and recommending I download the
> latest version of the original free program.  I did but have not yet been
> able to make it work either though the problems are different.  I switched

there was a fork of cdrecord to wodim (this is from memory).

some simple things to try

can you see the device normally - ie can you mount a cd from that device
have you tried just a wodim -inq /dev/hda (if its known as /dev/hda ?).  If you
get an error here what is in dmesg or /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog