Re: Can not see my desktop in vnc session that is started up from local display.

H.S. wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> Mumia W.. wrote:
>>
>>> If connections from localhost are not blocked, this should work.
>>> However, I see you're starting a Gnome session; I hope that you're not
>>> doing that from within another Gnome session for the same user account.
>>>
>>> Gnome is a complicated environment with many parts that must be in
>>> communication with one another. These parts probably communicate over
>>> sockets in /tmp. I'm in Gnome right now, and the sockets I see don't
>>> have any display numbers in their names. If two Gnome sessions are
>>> running for the same user, how can one session distinguish itself from
>>> another?
>>>
>>> I don't think Gnome can handle two sessions for the same user at the
>>> same time. Use something simple like icewm-session, fvwm or fluxbox to
>>> manage windows in VNC.
>> Interesting. I have noticed that if I open a vnc session on a machine
>> from a remote machine while I am logged in on the machine locally, my
>> keyboard map is screwed up in the vnc session! I am not sure exactly
>> what is going wrong, but then I haven't even tried to investigate yet.
>> But your comment above may explain that. I will try to logout or kill
>> the local gnome session and see if the problem is solved. Or I may just
>> start a different manager in the vnc session as you suggest.
>>
>> thanks,
>> ->HS
>>

> I rebooted that machine (runs Ubuntu) and then started a vnc session
> again and tried to open a VNC session from a remote machine (runs
> Lenny). Same weird keyboard mapping problem. So no, killing the users
> and rebooting the machine (there were some upgrades needing rebooting)
> did not resolve the problem. Sorry about the noise.
>
> ->HS

What solved the problem was to not use gnome! Previously, I was using
this in ~/.vnc/xstartup:
$> cat .vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

#xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
#xsetroot -solid grey
#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP
#Desktop" &
#x-window-manager &

exec dbus-launch --auto-syntax --exit-with-session gnome-session

changed it to the following and not I get a 'failsafe' session and an
xterm and no gnome but a good keyboard:
$> cat .vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
x-window-manager &

#exec dbus-launch --auto-syntax --exit-with-session gnome-session

I better stop now, I have already hijacked the thread :)

->HS