Re: Can not see my desktop in vnc session that is started up from local display.

Mumia W.. wrote:

> If connections from localhost are not blocked, this should work.
> However, I see you're starting a Gnome session; I hope that you're not
> doing that from within another Gnome session for the same user account.
>
> Gnome is a complicated environment with many parts that must be in
> communication with one another. These parts probably communicate over
> sockets in /tmp. I'm in Gnome right now, and the sockets I see don't
> have any display numbers in their names. If two Gnome sessions are
> running for the same user, how can one session distinguish itself from
> another?
>
> I don't think Gnome can handle two sessions for the same user at the
> same time. Use something simple like icewm-session, fvwm or fluxbox to
> manage windows in VNC.

Interesting. I have noticed that if I open a vnc session on a machine
from a remote machine while I am logged in on the machine locally, my
keyboard map is screwed up in the vnc session! I am not sure exactly
what is going wrong, but then I haven't even tried to investigate yet.
But your comment above may explain that. I will try to logout or kill
the local gnome session and see if the problem is solved. Or I may just
start a different manager in the vnc session as you suggest.

thanks,
->HS