Re: Can not see my desktop in vnc session that is started up from local display.

On 09/13/2007 11:28 PM, Michael Yang wrote:
Hi guys:

I installed the tightvncserver on Debian Etch, and set it up as normal as I
did in my old system (fedora).

I opened the terminal from local gnome desktop, and executed the "vncserver
:1", the vncserver is started up, but I can't see the desktop in this
vncsession, only the X server is displayed.

However, I remotely login to the server, and from the terminal of this ssh
session, I executed the same command as above to start up the vnc service,
then I can see the desktop in the vncsession.

Is there any points I missed to correctly set it up?

Here is my xstartup script:

#!/bin/sh
# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
# unset SESSION_MANAGER
# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
#vncconfig -iconic &
#xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#x-window-manager &
gnome-session &

I dont see any differences or specials in the script, since it's simply
straightforward to understand.
Or is the method of starting up the vncserver from local display not
supported?
Any body have idea about this?

Thanks.
Michael.

Is your firewall blocking connections from the localhost?

After I set up the password using vncpasswd, I can start the server using 'vncserver :1' , and I can easily view the session with 'xtightvncviewer :1'

If connections from localhost are not blocked, this should work. However, I see you're starting a Gnome session; I hope that you're not doing that from within another Gnome session for the same user account.

Gnome is a complicated environment with many parts that must be in communication with one another. These parts probably communicate over sockets in /tmp. I'm in Gnome right now, and the sockets I see don't have any display numbers in their names. If two Gnome sessions are running for the same user, how can one session distinguish itself from another?

I don't think Gnome can handle two sessions for the same user at the same time. Use something simple like icewm-session, fvwm or fluxbox to manage windows in VNC.