Re: Package list problem

On 09/12/2007 06:46 AM, Daniel Santos wrote:
Hello,

I am running dpkg version 1.14.4.

I've had several repositories configured, and kept changing them for some
time because I had internet access problems. Anyway, the package list shows
a lot of uninstalled packages with no description information (don't know if
dpkg-query -l behaves this way or if its garbage from older repositories)

When I tried to apt-get a package I got the following output :

oraculo:/home/dlsa# apt-get install terminal.app
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

terminal.app: Depends: gnustep-back0.11 (>= 0.11.0) but it is not installable Depends: gnustep-gpbs (>= 0.11.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Then I ran a dpkg -C to get a list of broken packages and it showed me nothing

I usually use synaptic to do package mgmt, and the error it shows me when I try to install it, is that this package is from a repository no longer in the list, and that
some package that is installed depends on dependencies of it.

Is it possible to know which packages are blocking the installation of this one ? Is it possible to clean the package list from these packages that have no know location but are on the list because of dependencies ? (maybe by uninstalling the
ones that depend on them)

Many thanks
Daniel Santos

I suggest going into aptitude's interactive interface as a normal user. Aptitude will let you see what packages depend upon gnustep-back and gnustep-gpbs.

From the command line, you might do this:

aptitude search '~i~Dgnustep-back'
aptitude search '~i~Dgnustep-gpbs'

But the curses interface makes research easier.

Your difficulties probably stem from creating a mixed system. Try to make sure your system is fully Etch or Lenny or Sid--not a mixture of Etch, Lenny and Sid--and you'll have fewer headaches.