Re exim4, postfix problems

Still using iceape. I have tried dpkg-reconfigure postfix selecting Smarthost. First I entered my ISP provider, ran /etc/init.d/postfix reload and then sent a message from mutt to my other mail box, mail@tomgeorge.info. Next I repeated this entering outgoing.verizion.net which I must use for the SMTP entry in setting up a mail box for iceape. In both cases no message was delivered to mail@tomgeorge but both messages showed up when I ran fetchmail and then mutt.

I surely don't understand it well enough as I can't explain it simply.

Tom George