Re: Package list problem

On 09/14/2007 07:02 AM, Daniel Santos wrote:
Andrei :

I ran that command on terminal.app and on the resulting packages onward and every one is not installed. It reverse depends on gnustep (virtual package), which reverse depends on gnustep-games and gnustep-devel, that don't rdepend on nothing.

Mumia :

I used aptitude instead of synaptic and the error message was that the gnustep-back-0.11 that terminal.app depends on is not available, and that is the reason why it can't be installed. Synaptic told me what I've written on the previous email.

I ran those searches and no output resulted. The packages are not installed.

Pardon my ignorance, but I usually upgrade packages without paying attention to the distribution they fit in. My system is currently a lenny/sid. How do I go about bringing it to a single distribution (the latest unstable is the preferred)?

Daniel Santos

Make sure your /etc/apt/sources.list only has unstable sources in it.

Then do "aptitude update"

In aptitude ncurses interface, you can find out what packages don't belong in unstable by going into the "Obsolete and Locally Created Packages" section. Another option is to run "aptitude search '~i!~Astable'" . Don't uninstall everything you find using those methods. They just speed up the research of finding out what to remove.

After you've removed any packages that clearly block your upgrade to Sid, you can do the traditional distribution upgrade procedure:

aptitude upgrade
aptitude dist-upgrade

This page describes the old upgrade procedure using apt-get: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html

You'll probably want to use aptitude instead, but the ideas are the same. After you've upgraded to Sid, you'll probably want to reinstall some of the Lenny programs that had to be removed during the upgrade. Good luck.