Re: X fails to start - Intel i810 (845) - etch + testing

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 04:21:31PM -0500, Gordon Pedersen wrote:
> On 9/11/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 02:11:25PM -0500, Gordon Pedersen wrote:
>
> > > log.  Quick check verifies that there is just the builtin 82845G
> > > chipset video - no extra video card - and certainly no second
> > > monitor(!!).
> >
> > happy to help, though its effectiveness remains to be seen. I reviewed
> > the Xorg logs on my wife's machine and confirmed that it does *NOT*
> > make mention (other than one passing reference, I think) to LVDS. I'm
> > sure that's your problem. And its surely worth a bug-report if that
> > ends up being the problem.
>
> Now different errors.  :-)
>
> (Apologies if text gets misformatted here - am forced to cut and
> paste into a gmail session to get this post out today.)
>
> I reinstalled xserver-xorg then followed these suggestions:
> 	. Added to xorg.conf:
> 		.	Section "Device"  Option		"Monitor-VGA"	"Hitachi 803"
> 		.	Section "Monitor"
> 		Modeline "1600x1200"  202.50  1600 1664 1856 2160  1200 1201 1204
> 1250 +hsync +vsync
>
> Good news - no longer trying to connect to LVDS output - but this
> seems to be more due to choosing an incompatible Modeline than
> anything else.

yeah, that's an improvement.

> More good news - X does seem to use the 1600x1200 Modeline specified
> in xorg.conf Monitor section.

again, does your monitor support that resolution? It probably won't
keep xorg from starting but I'd hate for you to fry the monitor...

> But still X does not start.  See errors immediately below, followed
> by xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log.

I assume its the same thing as before? back to the cli?

> Errors are different, and may prove clue to something else going
> wrong.  But I have no idea what they mean.  See what you think.
>
> (BTW:  have tried disabling glx and dri in xorg.conf, former is still
> auto-loaded by X and the errors are essentially unchanged.)
>
> Googled this:  unable to read from dvoi2c_e tfp410

yeah, that error crops up in my wife's working config. I think its
just xorg trying different stuff and failing as a means to determine
capabilities as opposed to a fatal error.

one think that I'm having trouble with, there is no error message that
indicates a failure. Typically, you'll see something like:

(EE) intel(0): No valid modes.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

and either you're snipping that or its not there.

Lets review plese how you are starting this system. I know you are
using some startx incantation. What config file are you using to
control that xsession, and what are the contents of that file?

The reason I ask is, lacking those error messages above, I think you
are *may* be successfully starting an x session and then automatically
killing it. If you combine that with a mode that your monitor doesn't
support, and you won't even see the typical X grey screen with "x" cursor".

To answer your other mail, the bare-bones method to start X is to use
the vesa driver which pretty much works with everything.