Re: Loading and blacklisting modules

On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 05:05:08PM +0200, Davide Mancusi wrote:
> I am trying to solve two problems:
> 1. Load my sound-card module ("snd_via_82xx") before "snd_usb_audio" (I
> have a webcam with integrated mike); for some reason, sound won't work if
> they are loaded in the opposite order;
> 2. Avoid to load the "floppy" module at each boot, since I do not have a
> floppy drive.
>
> What is the proper way to load sound-card modules at boot? I have read
> somewhere on this list that alsaconf is no longer recommended. Is udev
> supposed to handle everything now? What should I have in /etc/modules then?
> Most importantly, how do I configure udev to get the modules in the right
> order and to prevent "floppy" from being loaded (if it is actually udev's
> fault...)?

See 'man modprobe.conf'. There is an example for just what you need for
1. For 2. a simple 'blacklist' should be enough, but post back if it
doesn't work (some modules are a bit stubborn).

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. My recommendation is to create a file /etc/modprobe.d/00local for
all your customizations
(Albert Einstein)