Re: NMI received, likely on the PCI bus

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 01:02:18PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 31 Aug 2007, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 07:22:21PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > "NMI received, likely on the PCI bus ..." together with stuff about a
> > > hardware problem.

> > Thinkpads have very good advanced diagnostics.  If you don't have
> > manuals telling you how to access them, check out IBM's website (even a
> > google site:ibm.com ) using your machine number (the four-digit IBM
> > number not the sales dept's Z61M.  You should be able to find the
> > service manual for it which will tell you how to run the advanced
> > diagnostics.
> >
> > It is those diagnostics that IBM will run to determine a warranty claim.
> > The manual tells them which FRUs to swap out until the diagnostics tell
> > them that the machine is good.
>
> Thanks for this suggestion. I downloaded the manual  but I don't have
> the diagnostics program. However, the problem seems to have gone away at
> present. I'll phone the UK support team on Monday and discuss it with
> them.

Hi Anthony,

The diagnostics are already in the thinkpad's bios.  The manual should
just tell you how to access it.  Remember, its the service manuals you
want, not the customer's troubleshooting manual.  You'll know you have
the right one if somewhere they tell you to change the system board,
which isn't a usual customer activity :)

For example, I have a Thinkpad 600E with a dead screen and hard drive
(lightening strike while I was using it in a tent when the tent got
hit).  To run the diagnostices on it:

Press and hold F1 while powering on the computer.
Click on test to get the basic diagnostics
Run those tests
Press Ctrl-A on the basic diagnostics screen to get the Advanced
	Diagnostics
Click on Exit or press Esc to go to the keyboard advanced diags.
Run those.
Click on Exit again and you get the full advanced diagnostics menu.
Select a device or select All Devices.

That's the same keystrokes (minus the mouse action) as they were on my
IBM 486, on which I needed a separate Advanced Diags. disk.  I would
guess that the basic key sequence would be the same on your Thinkpad.

Good luck.

Doug.