Re: how to provide extra library paths?

On 9/1/07, Michael Marsh <michael.a.marsh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/07, P Kapat <kap4lin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/31/07, Michael Marsh <michael.a.marsh@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Presumably, you have something like .kde, .kderc, or Desktop in your
> > > home directory.  Does grep find anything about LD_LIBRARY_PATH in any
> > > of those?
> > well, there is a .kde directory where all kde related configurations
> > get stored, but no LD_LIBRARY_PATH in any of those files (even
> > binary)... I will have to study the KDE startup nicely sometime. Btw,
> > I am logging into KDE from GDM. Would that play any role?
>
> Wouldn't know -- I boot to console and use startx to start fvwm.  What
> about system-wide KDE files?
>
> Alternatively, is there a script that's sourced on session start-up?
> If so, you can certainly solve your problem by defining
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH there.  I know fvwm has an InitFunction, and I imagine
> other window managers have something similar.
>
> Googling "kde session init", I found the following thread, which might help:
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/344

Thanks for the link, I will try to see what I can grab from there. The
restriction as I mentioned is that I do not have administrative
access, only a normal user, so whatever I do, will be under $HOME/

> > > BTW, the lines in your .xsession-errors are output from your .bashrc
> > > being run by something that doesn't have a tty output.  That's
> > > probably the initial sourcing at session start-up.
> > I think it was from .bash_profile. Is it possible to know which
> > program modified the .xsession-errors last?
>
> Not that I'm aware of.  The lines look like the output of "set -x", though.

Ah, I think it is both the profiles. I have defined LD_LIBRARY_PATH
only is .bash_profile so it cannot be from .bashrc, but then I am
sourcing .bashrc within .bash_profile and "set -x" is in .bashrc,
so...

--
Regards
PK