Re: NMI received, likely on the PCI bus

On 01 Sep 2007, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> The diagnostics are already in the thinkpad's bios.  The manual should
> just tell you how to access it.  Remember, its the service manuals you
> want, not the customer's troubleshooting manual.  You'll know you have
> the right one if somewhere they tell you to change the system board,
> which isn't a usual customer activity :)
>
> For example, I have a Thinkpad 600E with a dead screen and hard drive
> (lightening strike while I was using it in a tent when the tent got
> hit).  To run the diagnostices on it:
>
> Press and hold F1 while powering on the computer.
> Click on test to get the basic diagnostics
> Run those tests
> Press Ctrl-A on the basic diagnostics screen to get the Advanced
> 	Diagnostics
> Click on Exit or press Esc to go to the keyboard advanced diags.
> Run those.
> Click on Exit again and you get the full advanced diagnostics menu.
> Select a device or select All Devices.
>
> That's the same keystrokes (minus the mouse action) as they were on my
> IBM 486, on which I needed a separate Advanced Diags. disk.  I would
> guess that the basic key sequence would be the same on your Thinkpad.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Doug.

This is the manual I got. Unfortunately, i seems that the Z61M only has
a HD diagnostic program. It tells me to download more stuff to test
other things from their download drivers site but I can't see anything
relevant there.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian