Re: NMI received, likely on the PCI bus

On 31 Aug 2007, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 07:22:21PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > "NMI received, likely on the PCI bus ..." together with stuff about a
> > hardware problem.
> >
> > In the last couple of days I've received this worrying message during
> > re-awakening from suspend to disk. It doesn't seem to happen in ordinary
> > booting. I googled for similar messages and found a few  but no very
> > clear resolution, although there are some suggestions it could be a
> > kernel bug.
> >
> > I ran memtest86 for 22 hours without errors. I also twice compiled a
> > kernel, again without errors.
> >
> > I'm using a Thinkpad Z61M with Sid, kernel 2.6.20.1-slh-smp-2.
> >
> > Question: is this a false alarm? If not, what tests to do? The machine
> > is still under warranty but I don't know what fault I could report.
>
> Thinkpads have very good advanced diagnostics.  If you don't have
> manuals telling you how to access them, check out IBM's website (even a
> google site:ibm.com ) using your machine number (the four-digit IBM
> number not the sales dept's Z61M.  You should be able to find the
> service manual for it which will tell you how to run the advanced
> diagnostics.
>
> It is those diagnostics that IBM will run to determine a warranty claim.
> The manual tells them which FRUs to swap out until the diagnostics tell
> them that the machine is good.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Doug.

Thanks for this suggestion. I downloaded the manual  but I don't have
the diagnostics program. However, the problem seems to have gone away at
present. I'll phone the UK support team on Monday and discuss it with
them.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian