Re: fstab and removable usb drives

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 00:44:29 +0100
Graham <doubleyou@loftmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:30:56 -0400
> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm experimenting with fstab lines to streamline mounting my removable
> > usb drives (flash and HDD).  I have tried 'UUID-xxxx', 'LABEL-xxxx',
> > and '/dev/disk/by-label/xxxx', but with any of these the system
> > refuses to boot without manual intervention when the drive isn't
> > attached (I am told to hit <ctrl>-D and something about maintenance
> > mode).  This occurs even when I set 'noauto'.  Am I missing
> > something, or are such fstab lines really illegal for setups where
> > the volume may not be attached at boot?
>
> I use what's below in fstab for manually mounting any USB device that I
> attach after booting up.
>
> /dev/sda1 /media/removable auto rw,noauto,user,exec,users 0 0
>
> Be aware that this is only for the first USB drive you connect, any
> additional ones connected up after the first one will have to
> be /dev/sdb1 and so on. Change /media/removable to the mount point you
> want.
>
> I have no issues with booting my system with the above, nor do I have
> issues with mounting USB devices.

Thanks.  The problem was my non-zero last field, as per my other
posts.  BTW, mounting by label / UUID is often a better idea,
especially for removable storage, since it ensures consistency of mount
points even when the connection order varies.  This may not be
important to you, but it is to many.

> Graham

Celejar