fstab and removable usb drives

Hi,

I'm experimenting with fstab lines to streamline mounting my removable
usb drives (flash and HDD).  I have tried 'UUID-xxxx', 'LABEL-xxxx',
and '/dev/disk/by-label/xxxx', but with any of these the system refuses
to boot without manual intervention when the drive isn't attached (I am
told to hit <ctrl>-D and something about maintenance mode).  This
occurs even when I set 'noauto'.  Am I missing something, or are such
fstab lines really illegal for setups where the volume may not be
attached at boot?

Celejar