Re: fstab and removable usb drives

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:30:56 -0400
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm experimenting with fstab lines to streamline mounting my removable
> usb drives (flash and HDD).  I have tried 'UUID-xxxx', 'LABEL-xxxx',
> and '/dev/disk/by-label/xxxx', but with any of these the system
> refuses to boot without manual intervention when the drive isn't
> attached (I am told to hit <ctrl>-D and something about maintenance
> mode).  This occurs even when I set 'noauto'.  Am I missing
> something, or are such fstab lines really illegal for setups where
> the volume may not be attached at boot?

I use what's below in fstab for manually mounting any USB device that I
attach after booting up.

/dev/sda1 /media/removable auto rw,noauto,user,exec,users 0 0

Be aware that this is only for the first USB drive you connect, any
additional ones connected up after the first one will have to
be /dev/sdb1 and so on. Change /media/removable to the mount point you
want.

I have no issues with booting my system with the above, nor do I have
issues with mounting USB devices.

Graham