[solved] Re: fstab and removable usb drives

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:51:04 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff D <fixedored@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Celejar wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm experimenting with fstab lines to streamline mounting my removable
> > usb drives (flash and HDD).  I have tried 'UUID-xxxx', 'LABEL-xxxx',
> > and '/dev/disk/by-label/xxxx', but with any of these the system refuses
> > to boot without manual intervention when the drive isn't attached (I am
> > told to hit <ctrl>-D and something about maintenance mode).  This
> > occurs even when I set 'noauto'.  Am I missing something, or are such
> > fstab lines really illegal for setups where the volume may not be
> > attached at boot?
> >
> > Celejar
> > --
>
> Hm, noauto should skip it at boot.  On one of my laptops I have this:
> /dev/disk/by-id/xxxxxx  /mnt/flash  vfat user,noauto 0 0
>
> Boots up just fine..

Well, with a little careful digging I found the problem.  The
error was fsck related;  /etc/init.d/checkfs.sh runs 'fsck -C -R -A
-a'.  The '-A' option tells fsck to check all filesystems in fstab that
don't have 0 in the last field.  I had been setting mine to 2 as the
installer did for the system's fixed drives; you have it set to 0.  I
suppose that I'll just have use 0 and perhaps remember to do a manual
fsck periodically.

Celejar