Re: help identifying a USB data stick

Robert Cates wrote:
> buffoon@buffoon.homelinux.org wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've got debian etch running as a server (no GUI at all) and I'd like to
>>> use my USB data stick to transfer files, but I cannot seem to find it
>>> under /dev .  Do I need to, or should I, install an auto-mount package,
>>> i.e. would it make access easier?  Are there more than one auto-mount
>>> type of packages available?  I found am-utils, which was one result of
>>> 1314 for "auto" when I searched the available packages.
>>>
>>> Also, dmesg | grep usb gives me:
>>>
>>> usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
>>> usbcore: registered new driver hub
>>> usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>>> usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>>> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
>>> usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>>> usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
>>> usb-storage: device found at 2
>>> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
>>> usb-storage: device scan complete
>>>
>>> but I don't know how to translate this into a /dev/.. device.?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your help!
>>> Robert
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> Try to do a "dmesg | tail" after a few seconds when you plugged in the
>> USB
>> Device. You should see something like:
>>
>> sdc: Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
>> sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
>> SCSI device sdc: 2055290 512-byte hdwr sectors (1052 MB)
>> sdc: Write Protect is off
>> sdc: Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
>> sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
>>  sdc: sdc1
>> sd 5:0:0:1: Attached scsi removable disk sdc
>> sd 5:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg5 type 0
>> usb-storage: device scan complete
>>
>> And there you can see what device it is. This should be betwwen the 2
>> last
>> lines in your post but as you grepped for "usb" you didn't see them.
>>
>> Greets
>> buffoon
>>

> Thanks for the tip/info.  My dmesg shows:
>
> SCSI subsystem initialized
> Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
> scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
> USB Mass Storage support registered.
> usb-storage: device found at 2
> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
>  Vendor:           Model: MediBase          Rev: 1100
>  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
> usb-storage: device scan complete
> SCSI device sda: 8125440 512-byte hdwr sectors (4160 MB)
> sda: Write Protect is off
> sda: Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> SCSI device sda: 8125440 512-byte hdwr sectors (4160 MB)
> sda: Write Protect is off
> sda: Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> sda: sda1
> sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda

> [...]

well, it says "device scan complete" but just in another place that i
told you... I'm sorry about that.

In your case th device is atached as "/dev/sda" and the partition is
"/dev/sda1". To mount it try the command:

mount /dev/sda1 /media/stick

but get sure that /media/stick exists before you execute that command.
The device should be mounted then. Don't forget to do a

umuount /media/stick

and wait until this command is done before you unplug the device. Good Luck

greets
buffoon