Re: help identifying a USB data stick

buffoon@buffoon.homelinux.org wrote:
Hi,

I've got debian etch running as a server (no GUI at all) and I'd like to
use my USB data stick to transfer files, but I cannot seem to find it
under /dev .  Do I need to, or should I, install an auto-mount package,
i.e. would it make access easier?  Are there more than one auto-mount
type of packages available?  I found am-utils, which was one result of
1314 for "auto" when I searched the available packages.

Also, dmesg | grep usb gives me:

usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new driver hub
usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
usb-storage: device found at 2
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete

but I don't know how to translate this into a /dev/.. device.?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Robert

Try to do a "dmesg | tail" after a few seconds when you plugged in the USB
Device. You should see something like:

sdc: Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdc: 2055290 512-byte hdwr sectors (1052 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
sdc: Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdc: sdc1
sd 5:0:0:1: Attached scsi removable disk sdc
sd 5:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg5 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

And there you can see what device it is. This should be betwwen the 2 last
lines in your post but as you grepped for "usb" you didn't see them.

Greets
buffoon

Thanks for the tip/info.  My dmesg shows:

SCSI subsystem initialized
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb-storage: device found at 2
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
 Vendor:           Model: MediBase          Rev: 1100
 Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
usb-storage: device scan complete
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda

but unlike yours, it does not say - usb-storage: device scan complete
Now, what's the best way to get this mounted and usable? Should I install am-utils for example? I've tried various ways of using the mount command, but I'm not getting it right (mounted).

Thanks,
Robert