help identifying a USB data stick

Hi,

I've got debian etch running as a server (no GUI at all) and I'd like to use my USB data stick to transfer files, but I cannot seem to find it under /dev . Do I need to, or should I, install an auto-mount package, i.e. would it make access easier? Are there more than one auto-mount type of packages available? I found am-utils, which was one result of 1314 for "auto" when I searched the available packages.

Also, dmesg | grep usb gives me:

usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new driver hub
usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
usb-storage: device found at 2
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete

but I don't know how to translate this into a /dev/.. device.?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Robert