Re: help identifying a USB data stick

> Hi,
>
> I've got debian etch running as a server (no GUI at all) and I'd like to
> use my USB data stick to transfer files, but I cannot seem to find it
> under /dev .  Do I need to, or should I, install an auto-mount package,
> i.e. would it make access easier?  Are there more than one auto-mount
> type of packages available?  I found am-utils, which was one result of
> 1314 for "auto" when I searched the available packages.
>
> Also, dmesg | grep usb gives me:
>
> usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
> usbcore: registered new driver hub
> usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
> usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
> usb-storage: device found at 2
> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
> usb-storage: device scan complete
>
> but I don't know how to translate this into a /dev/.. device.?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
> Robert
>

> --

Try to do a "dmesg | tail" after a few seconds when you plugged in the USB
Device. You should see something like:

sdc: Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdc: 2055290 512-byte hdwr sectors (1052 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
sdc: Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdc: sdc1
sd 5:0:0:1: Attached scsi removable disk sdc
sd 5:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg5 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

And there you can see what device it is. This should be betwwen the 2 last
lines in your post but as you grepped for "usb" you didn't see them.

Greets
buffoon