Re: LVM partition full (was:what is /command directory?)

On Aug 26, 2007, at 5:44 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

However, I do agree that from the user/admin's perspective it is
complicated.  It offers many advantages to compensate for that.  The
most obvious is that you do have at your fingertips the ability to tweak
the sizes of your partitions which you would not have with normal
partitions.

Although this has its pitfalls, too.

Growing a logical volume is easy -- you enlarge it, then let the filesystem's resizing tool figure out the new device size.

Shrinking a logical volume, though...that's full of pitfalls. I've gotten bitten repeatedly by the fact that resize2fs and LVM's tools apparently don't do math the same way when calculating sizes, especially if you use human-readable units. I now avoid shrinking logical volumes unless I have an automated tool to do it for me, because I have never found a safe way to do it manually.