Re: LVM partition full (was:what is /command directory?)

On Sun, August 26, 2007 14:35, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 12:25:30PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
>> On Sun, August 26, 2007 02:24, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>> > On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 12:52:30AM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
[...]
>> $ df -h
>> Filesystem         Dimens. Usati Disp. Uso% Montato su
>> /dev/mapper/Debian-root
>>                       259M  165M   81M  68% /
>> /dev/hda1             228M   34M  182M  16% /boot
>> /dev/mapper/Debian-home
>>                       9,3G  4,6G  4,2G  53% /home
>> /dev/mapper/Debian-tmp
>>                       368M   11M  337M   4% /tmp
>> /dev/mapper/Debian-usr
>>                       4,7G  3,5G  1,1G  78% /usr
>> /dev/mapper/Debian-var
>>                       2,9G  901M  1,8G  33% /var
>
> I don't see anything here to panic over.  If you want to give yourself
> some more room in /, you could put /tmp on tmpfs as long as you have
> enough swap already.  Then you could delete the LV tmp and reallocate
> its space to /.  Also, your /boot is too big but that's more difficult
> to change; not impossible.

I've just read the lvm howto and other stuff on 'Changing the Size of
the LVM-Partitions' -- and I don't like the sound of it a bit.  Lots
of talk of "if something goes wrong", and very complicated. I think
I'll go back to the old way as soon as I have energy to do the moving.
There is room on my second hard drive to copy the whole system off,
repartition the first drive, and copy it back.  With boot on a non-LVM
partition, I assume it will all reboot quite happily afterwards. (Mental
note: I must remember to remove everything lvm from /etc/rc*.d. before
rebooting)

[...]

> However, I don't see that your setup needs any tweaking right now.  / is
> at 68% with 81 MB free.

True, that is after I moved /opt from / to /usr/local.  When I first
stumbled on the issue, it was at 96%.

Thanks for your help, Douglas.

--
richard