Re: what is /command directory?

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 12:52:30AM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> I just noticed with a sinking feeling that my root partition is 96% full.
> I do wish I hadn't let the installer use LVM and choose its own sizes.
> Now I am stuck trying to work round its choices.  I also notice a number
> of directories I've never heard of before under root:
>    command, package, service
>
> 'service' contains a symlink to /etc/tinydns, left over from an attempt
> to install tinydns, I assume.  Is it likely the others also belong to
> tinydns, because if so I can delete them as it didn't run anyway.

Are you saying that there are directories in /root that you didn't put
there and you don't know what they are, or are you saying that there are
/command, /package, /service directories (none of which are in the FHS).
Try apt-file search (on a non-full system) to see to whom they belong.
Otherwise, move them to somewhere safe (USB stick, floppy, another
computer with scp or rsync, whatever)

If you're using LVM, do you have any free space?

Since we don't know your system,  send the output of:

/bin/df -h
(shows amount of free space on each partition)

/sbin/pvdisplay
(shows all your physical volumes used for LVM with amount of free
extents).

/usr/bin/du -c -h --max-depth=1 /*
(shows the amount of space taken up by the top two directory levels;
tells you where your space has gone.

Also tell us what filesystem you're using.  If its ext2/3 it can be
resized.  For example, since you're using LVM, if one LV has lots of
free space while your / LV is full, if you have no free extents in
/'s VG, you can reduce the oversize LV and its ext2/3 filesystem and
extend /'s LV.

Good luck,

Doug.