Re: SATA vs PATA

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 12:05:42PM +0200, Dan H wrote:
> now I have this camcorder and want to dump/edit some family videos on
> it, and before I know it my 160GB harddisk is full. So I need some
> extra GB.
>
> Should I go Serial-ATA or good ol' Parallel-ATA? How do the two
> compare in terms of data throughput and Linux kernel support?

SATA-I gives 150 MB/s, SATA-II gives 300 MB/s, PATA 133 MB/s.

PATA: poor performance in general, but lousy if you have two drives on
one controller.  Since most boards have only 1 or two controllers,
that's one or two drives.  PATA bandwidth is per controller.  Cable
lenghth: 18", wide ribbon blocks air flow.

SATA: Being serial, each cable is point-to-point, so bandwidth is per
drive.  Cable length 39" (1 m).

Debian Etch has full support for SATA.

If you want to edit videos, go with SATA.  If you can afford it, you may
want to go with two drives and set up LVM with a stripped LV (or use
raid0) to speed up the drive access.

[PATA vs SATA info reference: wikipedia]

Doug.