[OT] low-budget camcorder and avi dvd player

Hi,

I know there are way too many camcorder types analog/digital, recording
media, etc, than I could possibly know. Is there any good site that you
recommend for the reading? (I've done googling, no thanks to any googling
suggestions)

I'm planning to buy a low-budget (digital) camcorder, as long as I can copy
the video to my PC, do some minimum transcoding if necessary but definitely
not full-fledged fancy transcoding that takes hours to finish, then put the
result avi file onto dvd disk, so as to play it on my avi-compatible dvd
player.

Is it ever possible? and for low-budget camcorder? I think I must be
dreaming to have a ~$100 camcorder + a ~$60 avi-compatible dvd player
that can fulfill above, is it?

Sorry for OT.
Thanks for any comments.

--