Re: How to disable ipv6

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 03:34:50PM +0200, Alber wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Have the same problem on Debian Etch.
>
> What have been done:
> in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
> alias net-pf-10 ipv6 changed to
> alias net-pf-10 off
> alias ipv6 off (problem exist)
 this should have done it

> on next stage:
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> blacklist ipv6 (problem exist)
>
> on next stage:
> adding alias net-pf-10 off
> alias ipv6 off
> to created /etc/modprobe.d/00local (problem exist)
>
> on next stage:
> adding blacklist ipv6 to /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
>
> Result:
> I've get rid of boot delay but still have "ipv6 over ipv4 tunneling" on
> boot + "inet6 addr" on ifconfig.
>
> Please, help to disable this ipv6.

so the problem is ipv6 module is still being loaded, something explicitly might
be loading the module. You could take a shotgun to it and delete the module
from /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.ko

I would try and find out what is loading ipv6.

first I would boot with the option init=/bin/bash, check lsmod, this will tell
you if it is the initrd.  Then just start each of the daemons in the same order
that init would.

Sorry can't point to the exact answer, but you should have the tools to track
it down.

(one other place to check is /etc/sysctl.conf)

Good luck