Re: DHCP renewal..

On Aug 19, 2007, at 11:46 AM, Ken Irving wrote:
You can do what you want, but I think most DHCP servers expect the clients to comply with periodically re-upping the lease. I'm not sure, but I think the lease period is probably specified by the server when the ip is granted.
Read the manpages for client and servers to find out more.

Yes, that's correct. The server tells the client how long the lease is for, and the client is expected to renew at least that often. (Some renew more often. Windows clients, for example, seem to renew a couple times an hour even if given an 8-hour lease.)

If you don't renew and hang on to the IP anyway, *most* servers will try to avoid re-assigning your IP to some other client, but I don't think this is guaranteed. It's also generally considered bad form, since it can cause problems for other network users.

If you control the server, there are ways to make it always give a particular client the same IP. Many servers try to do this anyway, if there are enough addresses in the pool.