Re: DHCP renewal..

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 02:25:14PM -0400, ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:

> Running a liveCD system.
>
> At the first boot ip-address is obtained via DHCP
> The ip-address is changed to a static ip-address
> (does work)
>
> After sometime, the system renews the DHCP lease,
> is there a way to stop this renewal?

You can do what you want, but I think most DHCP servers expect the clients
to comply with periodically re-upping the lease.  I'm not sure, but I think
the lease period is probably specified by the server when the ip is granted.
Read the manpages for client and servers to find out more.

You could, for instance, simply change your network to use a static address
with the ip you receive from the dhcp server -- but of course this would
seriously violate the whole reason for having dynamic addresses.  I would
not recommend this; eventually the server would probably give that ip to
another system, and then you'll be screwing up that other user as well as
yourself.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci+debianuser@uaf.edu