Re: DHCP renewal..

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 10:46:59AM -0800, Ken Irving wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 02:25:14PM -0400, ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:
> >
> > Running a liveCD system.
> >
> > At the first boot ip-address is obtained via DHCP
> > The ip-address is changed to a static ip-address
> > (does work)
> >
> > After sometime, the system renews the DHCP lease,
> > is there a way to stop this renewal?

> You could, for instance, simply change your network to use a static address
> with the ip you receive from the dhcp server -- but of course this would
> seriously violate the whole reason for having dynamic addresses.  I would
> not recommend this; eventually the server would probably give that ip to
> another system, and then you'll be screwing up that other user as well as
> yourself.

Or accept the dynamic IP on that interface and setup NAT on the box
(with, e.g. ipmasq if you want install-and-forget or shorewall if you
need tight controll) so you can use your own static IP on your network.

However, I don't know how to do this on a LiveCD system.  I only use a
liveCD system to tweak an already installed one and have never needed to
set up networking with one.

Doug.