Re: How to make phone call using modem in Linux

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:26:31AM +0700, Kieu Minh Thang wrote:
> testing again, wvdial can make phone call too but quality is not good. the sound too noise.
> just modify config file. provide phone, username, password (don't care about username/password
> here)
>
> Thang Kieu

I'm not really sure what you're trying to do, but I guess you want to have
the computer dial and then use the voice phone, maybe over the computer
speaker.  I sometimes use this for checking voice mailbox messages,
but you can also use a regular telephone handset after the computer dials.

You'll probably need to search/google for the appropriate AT commands for
your modem and/or telephone host system if you want to do anything fancy.
I sometimes need to dial in spite of a "pulsing" dial-tone due to pending
messages, suspend call-waiting interruptions, etc., and there are code
sequences to do those kinds of things.

The main "trick" in using the computer as a dialer is to end the AT command
sequence with a semicolon (I think) in order to return the modem to "command
mode".  Otherwise, the default behavior of the modem is to progress to
negotiating with a modem on the other end, with all the funny-sounding tones
and beeps.

In general, I find it's best to first figure out how to do something manually,
as you're doing with wvdial or minicom, before trying to automate it.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci+debianuser@uaf.edu