Re: How to make phone call using modem in Linux

I have checked wvdial and have use minicom before.
wvdial seems to used to dialup connect, not to make phone call
I have used minicom to handle some circuit (it's likely to HyperTerminal on Windows), I think this can be use to dial because it handle modem with AT commands. If I know AT commands, I can make phone call too.
Maybe dtmfdial is a solution too, but I don't know how to configure it yet.

any other idea, who have make phone call using modem on Linux before? Please let me know.

Thank you all. ;)

Thang Kieu

On 8/11/07, Ken Irving <fnkci@uaf.edu> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 11:20:20PM -0700, Jeff D wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007, Kieu Minh Thang wrote:
>>
>> I have install dtmfdial, but it seems my Debian doesn't have driver for
>> modem. But I see that dtmfdial is very simple program, just a binary file,
>> no config file. How does this know what device used to dial, where can I
>> config modem device for it ?
>>
> you might want to check out wvdial, I've used it before with good results.

Minicom is useful to manually control a modem, also cu and probably
others, by typing commands to the modem.  The serial interface, or
"driver", to the modem is well built into the Linux system

An automated "phone dialer" probably exists as a package or project;
I'd try googling for those terms, use 'apt-cache search ...', look on
sourceforge and other software development sites.

I wrote a simple and not very flexible "phone dialer" as an exercise
to learn Perl/Tk one time, using the perl Expect module to handle
the interactive nature of the problem, and cu as the backend to talk
to the modem.  It presents a few buttons in a window to connect to a
phone voice message system, listen and delete messages, and disconnect,
and optionally puts up a keypad.  I suspect you might be looking for
something like this, and you're welcome to it, but there are also likely
more fully featured and configurable gizmos out there.

You described what you wanted by saying it was "like" some other program;
without being familiar with that program, it's hard to know what you want.

(Hmm, reminds me of the Microsoft approach to "office" software
standards...)

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci@uaf.edu