Google's search term completion [WAS] Re: Google checking my system?

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:11:08 +0300
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/08/07, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have noticed for a while that as I type into the IW / FF Google
> > search box, a drop down list of suggestions (separate from a list of my
> > previous searches) appears.  I don't get the impression that the
> > browser is downloading it on the fly, so when is that being pulled in?
> > Is that included in the application installation, or is it also
> > something the browser is doing on its own?
> >
> > > Krzysztof Lubanski
> >

> It's AJAX, it's done in real time as you type.
>
> AJAX is also used in Gmail, and Gmail will periodically check for new
> mail without refreshing the page. That's another potential source of
> the connections.
>
> For more on AJAX:
> http://what-is-what.com/what_is/ajax.html
>
> For more on Gmail:
> http://what-is-what.com/what_is/gmail.html

Thanks.  I see that when the network is down, I don't get suggestions,
so you're apparently correct, but the results are apparently cached,
since any list that comes up while the network is up also comes up
after I take it down.

> Dotan Cohen

Celejar