Public key SSH with Midnight Commander

I have my SSH set up to use only public key authentication between my
laptop and my remote host--no password fallback, no PAM.  So, I
initiate a session using:

$ ssh -i .ssh/id_remote remote.host.ip.address

Then I am prompted for the password of the .ssh/id_remote file which
resides on the laptop.

This works well (X11 Forwarding even!), but when I've tried Midnight
Commander or Konqueror using the fish protocol, I get errors.  In
experimenting, it appears to me that fish only uses password
authentication.  How can I make this work with public key only as I'm
using?

I want to keep my SSH access as secure as possible by using only public
key authentication.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of