Re: Google checking my system?

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:08:13 +0200
Krzysztof Lubański <luban@nerdshack.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 14:39 -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > I have noticed recently, while watching iptraf, that I am getting
> > connections from various google addresses. [...]
> >
> > This happen on 4 different network boxen, while they have
> > iceweasel running, and sitting on our networks local homepage.
>
> It may have something to do with Firefox's new anti-phishing
> functionality which fetches lists of phishing sites from Google:
>
> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/phishing-protection/
>
> One guy actually gets pissed about it here:
>
> http://discuss.extremetech.com/forums/1004384653/ShowThread.aspx
>
> He says the connections are still being made even after disabling the
> forgery protection. Nasty if it's true.

I have noticed for a while that as I type into the IW / FF Google
search box, a drop down list of suggestions (separate from a list of my
previous searches) appears.  I don't get the impression that the
browser is downloading it on the fly, so when is that being pulled in?
Is that included in the application installation, or is it also
something the browser is doing on its own?

> Krzysztof Lubanski

Celejar