Re: Google checking my system?

Mumia W.. <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 08/15/2007 06:39 PM, Steven wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:56:16 -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
>>> thought it was odd that google, or iceweasel, needed to know anything.
>>> Of course the entry was dropped when I terminated iceweasel.
>> I've noticed similar behavior for a few years.  While I've never really
>> been pleased with it there isn't much choice unless you feel like
>> devoting a good chuck of your time to searching and patching the source.
> This feature is called "safebrowsing," and turning it off is as easy as
> changing this option:

Wasn't there also an option in FF config for prefetching the first result
from google? ISTR that it could only be disabled in about:config ...
erm .. "network.prefetch-next". I use Konq, but at some point I installed
Stumble plugin (?) -- there are additional prefetching options for that
too. If it's default I'd certainly turn it off in a corporate environment
JIC my browser tried to fetch a result I didn't ask for.

In the OPs case it's probably just anti-phishing like you say.

--
Jamin @ Home: Chester UK -<jamin@ghost.merseine.nu>