Re: Google checking my system?

Michael Shuler(michael@pbandjelly.org) is reported to have said:
> On 08/15/2007 01:39 PM, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > I have noticed recently, while watching iptraf, that I am getting
> > connections from various google addresses. ie bu-in-f93.google.com
> > currently.
>
> This would be your browser checking in with google.  If you have a
> browser open, it will connect for updated information periodically.
> ie., netstat shows these connections on my system:

Well it has a long memory then.  This box was shut down last night for
some maintenance.  I fired it up this morning but didn't connect to
the net, just our local server homepage.  The box was running ktorrent
to seed some files all morning though.

> tcp  0  0 10.6.104.165:34120  kc-in-f104.google.c:www ESTABLISHED
> tcp  0  0 10.6.104.165:34121  kc-in-f104.google.c:www ESTABLISHED
>
> The above is from me -> google on port 80 when sitting on my igoogle page.

Dumb me forgot to run netstat when I saw the slowdown.  :-(

> > This happen on 4 different network boxen, while they have
> > iceweasel running, and sitting on our networks local homepage.
> >
> > As the connections were not initiated by any of the boxen, iptables
> > _should_ be blocking them, so I am wondering if Google has, somehow,
> > got around the firewall (firehol) rules.
>
> I pointed by browser away from google.com to some other site, and the
> connections persisted as ESTABLISHED for a short time, then dropped.
> After a little time, another connection fired up, same as above, so this
> appears to be cookie-based(?).  Interesting..
>
> Your firewall probably has an
>
> iptables -A INPUT -m state --state "ESTABLISHED,RELATED" -j ACCEPT
>
> rule, meaning accept anything coming in if it is initiated from the inside.

Yes, it does, but having not used iceweasel for anything today, I
thought it was odd that google, or iceweasel, needed to know anything.
Of course the entry was dropped when I terminated iceweasel.

Thanks Michael.  I'm sure you are correct.  I'll check more if/when it
happens again, and I'm sure it will.

Best Regards

Wayne

--