Re: correct kernel for etch - i386 - intel celeron

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:51:02PM +0100, slink wrote:

> >   From what I remember, the installer lets you choose one of these
> > versions:
> >
> >       * 686 (optimized for Pentiums and Celerons)
> >       * K7 (optimized for AMD Athlons and Durons)
> >       * SMP versions of both (HyperThreading/multicore processors
> > etc., though these will run just fine if your box doesn't provide
> >         Symmetric MultiProcessing)

There are no separate SMP versions. All Debian 686 kernels now support
SMP.

> In the interests of providing the definitive answer I reinstalled to
> the choices point.
>
> They were ...
>
> linux-image-2.6.18-4-686

This is the good one.

> linux-image-2.6.18-4-486

This is the more generic kernel which should work with anything from 486
upwards.

> linux-image-2.6-686
> linux-image-2.6-486

These are just convenient packages which assure you always run the
latest kernel of your choice.

> So did I chose correctly before with linux-image-2.6-18-4-686 on the
> celeron 2.6?

There's no better choice from the precompiled kernels.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)