Re: correct kernel for etch - i386 - intel celeron

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 00:35:15 +0300
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:51:02PM +0100, slink wrote:
>
> > >   From what I remember, the installer lets you choose one of these
> > > versions:
> > >
> > >       * 686 (optimized for Pentiums and Celerons)
> > >       * K7 (optimized for AMD Athlons and Durons)
> > >       * SMP versions of both (HyperThreading/multicore processors
> > > etc., though these will run just fine if your box doesn't provide
> > >         Symmetric MultiProcessing)
>
> There are no separate SMP versions. All Debian 686 kernels now
> support SMP.
>
> > In the interests of providing the definitive answer I reinstalled to
> > the choices point.
> >
> > They were ...
> >
> > linux-image-2.6.18-4-686
>
> This is the good one.
>
> > linux-image-2.6.18-4-486
>
> This is the more generic kernel which should work with anything from
> 486 upwards.
>
> > linux-image-2.6-686
> > linux-image-2.6-486
>
> These are just convenient packages which assure you always run the
> latest kernel of your choice.

Thank you for your reply.

Last night out of curiosity I installed etch again this time leaving
it to the default linux-image-2.6-686

On reboot I was bemused to see the output of uname -a showed the same
kernel 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP as when I had chosen it.

Fortunately I found your mail which made my discovery instantly clear.

Thank you.

del

> > So did I chose correctly before with linux-image-2.6-18-4-686 on the
> > celeron 2.6?
>
> There's no better choice from the precompiled kernels.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
> --
> If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
> (Albert Einstein)

del

--
D. M. Byram        || www d0t garmonsway d0t org/     /"\ ASCII Ribbon
Debian GNU/Linux   || www.debian.org/                 \ /  Campaign